Sunday, July 8, 2018

#1: Jay

My first interview is with Jay*, a fellow graduate student in my environmental microbiology lab at California State University Fullerton. I met him on my visit as a prospective student last year, where he spoke candidly and enthusiastically about the lab and we connected over Indonesia. He begins by describing the circumstances of his family's escape from Jakarta in 1998 following fatal and sexually violent anti-Chinese riots. What I love about this story is how at once relatable it is -- I certainly watched many hours of Tom & Jerry cartoons -- and how horrific.



 I was keen on the story of Chinese cultural norms perceived by many, including my guest, as rude (5:15). My mother relates public shaming stories from her WeChat feed such Chinese bus riders piling onto public buses by elbowing each other aside -- it's telling that many Chinese nationals and expats feel shame about this norm while no such standard is applied to imperialist and exploitative norms perpetrated by white folks in media, business, and schools. If I got a dollar every time someone asked where I'm from...

The conversation turned away from culture clash and toward the political climate depleting research funding to favor unsustainable industries. Jay intends to enter research in environmental conservation, an area fraught by political unpredictability, Scott Pruitt having left his post the day before our conversation. The stereotype of Chinese American academics and professionals silences our impact, ongoing and potential, on society and markets, but leadership doesn't have to look like executive positions and elected office. It made me realize the rich intersectionality of first-generation immigrant survival mentality and governance, political subjects I want to explore more with future guests.

*Jay chose a pseudonym for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment